Did you know…Paper Lantern Writers has a YouTube Channel!
Over the past two years our YouTube Guru C.V. Lee has encouraged all of us writers to share what we know. It turns out that we know a lot about researching, writing, and editing historical fiction. And the book biz. And settings. And slang. And…well, take a look at the twenty-five links below .
This is just a short list of our PLW videos, FYI. You can see the rest—and subscribe to our channel—here.
- Mari Christie talks about BLIND TRIBUTE
- Linda Ulleseit talks about UNDER THE ALMOND TREES
- Edie Cay talks about A LADY’S REVENGE, Regency Romance with a Twist
- Ana Brazil talks about FANNY NEWCOMB AND THE IRISH CHANNEL RIPPER
- Rebecca D’Harlingue talks about THE LINES BETWEEN US
- Linda Ulleseit talks about THE ALOHA SPIRIT
- Edie Cay talks about THE BOXER AND THE BLACKSMITH
- My Favorite Editing Tool – C.V. Lee talks about an amazing tool she discovered. For her, it was life changing.
- Speaking of Verbs – C.V. Lee goes beyond active vs passive verbs, or strong vs weak and talks about how to use them in world building and to add more depth to your characters.
- Setting Series
- Part 1 – Speaking of Setting as Wingman – Edie Cay, our Regency Romance writer, talks about her theory of setting as wingman
- Part 2 – Speaking of Setting as Character – Ana Brazil our Historical Mystery writer, talks about her theory of setting as character.
- Part 3 – Speaking of Setting as Culture – C.V. Lee, our family saga writer, talks about her theory of setting as culture.
- Book Trailers – Author Mari Christie talks about the process of making her book trailer for her novel, Blind Tribute.
- Research Resources – Ana Brazil talks about some of the fabulous primary research resources, including Sanborn maps, that are available for those writing that great American novel.
- Hybrid Publishing – C.V. Lee talks with authors Linda Ulleseit and Rebecca D’Harlingue about their decision to go the hybrid publishing route, rather than traditional or self-publishing.
- Querying – C.V. Lee has an honest interview with Kathryn Pritchett about her querying experience, seeking an agent for her first novel.
- Beyond Beta Readers: The Book Party – Kathryn Pritchett interviews C.V. Lee about her book party. C.V. discusses what it is and how it blows past the traditional concept of beta readers.
- How to: Make An Audio Book (on your computer) – C.V. Lee describes how an author can turn their manuscript into an audio book at no cost.
- Speaking of Regency Era Slang – Authors Edie Cay and C.V. Lee discuss slang from the Regency Era.
- Speaking of Medieval Era Slang – Authors Edie Cay and C.V. Lee discuss slang (and cursing) from the Medievel Era.
- A Writer’s Location Trip – C.V. Lee visits the Isle of Jersey to get questions answered and bring a greater authenticity to her setting description.
Afternoon Tea-light author interviews
The first Sunday of every month, Edie Cay interviews fabulous historical fiction authors. Join us live @ 2pm PST via our YouTube Channel or—if you’re a member—on our SHINE FB group. Or wait for the recording on YouTube.
- Rhys Bowen multi-award-winning, multi-genre historical mystery and historical literary standalones, on class systems, writing long running series, and places in the world that feel like home.
- Elizabeth Everett, author of A LADY’S FORMULA FOR LOVE and forthcoming A PERFECT EQUATION, on the line between Historical Fiction and Historical Romance.
- Eva Leigh, USA Today Bestselling Author of the UNION OF RAKES series, LONDON UNDERGROUND series, and LAST CHANCE SCOUDRELS series discussing the modern view of a historical world.
- Vanessa Riley, award-winning author of ISLAND QUEEN and THE DUKE, THE LADY, AND A BABY, on building a world and a complex character from secondary sources.
Ana Brazil writes historical crime fiction celebrating bodacious American heroines. She is a member of Sisters in Crime, the Historical Novel Society, and a founding member of Paper Lantern Writers.
Ana’s award-winning historical mystery FANNY NEWCOMB & THE IRISH CHANNEL RIPPER is set in Gilded Age New Orleans. Her upcoming October 17 2023 release is THE RED-HOT BLUES CHANTEUSE, a Viola Vermillion Vaudeville mystery set in 1919 San Francisco.